Quinta do Vesuvio is situated far upriver in the Douro Superior, 120 kilometres from Portugal’s Atlantic coast and only 30 kilometres from the border with Spain. Since acquiring Quinta do Vesuvio in 1989, our family has sought to recover the quinta's legendary reputation.
We have preserved the centuries-old method of treading the grapes in the granite lagares, which were built in 1827. Today Vesuvio is one of the last Douro Valley properties to maintain this tradition.
With 326 hectares, it is our largest property, and today is one of the model vineyards of the Douro. The property’s considerable scale and mountainous terrain result in vineyards with multiple aspects and an altitude range from 100 metres to 460 metres, providing scope for the production of very fine Vintage Ports and excellent Douro wines.
We have conserved many of the mature vineyards planted in the 1970s, some of the first to be planted in single varietal parcels. There are also much older, mixed variety vineyards, which contribute to the incredible complexity and structure of Quinta do Vesuvio wines
- Total Area 325.8 hectares
- Vineyard Area 133.4 hectares
- Principal Grape Varieties Touriga Franca, Touriga Nacional, Tinta Roriz, Tinta Barroca, Alicante Bouschet, Sousão, old mixed vines, Tinta Amarela
- Vineyard Aspect Predominantly north-west and west with some north and east-facing.
- Altitude Range 106 — 462 metres
- Average Annual Rainfall 471 mm
- Average Annual Temperature 16.8ºC
- Winery Traditional stone lagares
- Supplies Quinta do Vesúvio Vintage Port and DOC Douro red wine